Dos and Don’ts After Breast Surgery
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Stan Castor proudly offers breast augmentation, breast lift, and breast reduction procedures. These procedures help enhance the confidence and self-image of women who are unhappy with certain aspects of their breasts.
As you prepare for your breast surgery, know that you’ll need to take steps to enjoy a smooth recovery and optimal results. Every patient at our Tampa practice receives a detailed list of postoperative instructions. In the meantime, here are the most common dos and don’ts following a breast procedure.
Breast Surgery Recovery Dos
- Your body needs to heal and you can’t rush the process. Make sure to take the appropriate time away from your job and other commitments. Most patients can go back to work within a week, though this depends on your occupation and rate of healing.
- Engage in light activity. Getting out of bed and sitting, standing, or walking as soon as possible can aid recovery. These low-intensity activities promote blood flow and stimulate circulation.
- Stick to showers. Showering is appropriate 2 days after surgery, provided you use caution, direct the spray away from your incisions, and pat dry afterward. Avoid baths and hot tubs for several weeks because submerging your breasts can cause issues.
- Ask for help. Surgical recovery is a time to be selfish. Ask your loved ones to help you with chores and other tasks so you can focus on recuperating.
Breast Surgery Recovery Don’ts
- You should not drive for 48 hours after your procedure due to the use of anesthesia. Driving should also be avoided while you are taking prescription pain medicine.
- Lift anything heavy. According to Breast Implants Richmond VA, Do not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for approximately six weeks.
- Smoke or drink. Smoking in the weeks after surgery can impede wound healing and increase your risk of complications. Alcohol consumption should also be avoided as it can worsen bleeding and is dangerous while taking pain medicine.
Contact Artisan Aesthetics Plastic Surgery & Laser Center
If you have any questions during your breast surgery recovery, or if you’re interested in scheduling a complimentary initial consultation, contact our practice at 813-971-2000. We serve Tampa Bay and surrounding Florida areas.