Deciding to undergo a breast augmentation is an exciting decision! No doubt, you have long thought about a fuller, more buxom bosom. As you approach your augmentation, it is important to be physically and emotionally prepared. So important, we have decided to take a two part approach. This month, we will focus on the importance of physically preparing your body for what is to come.
Start a Varied Exercise Routine
Before undergoing your breast augmentation, it is extremely important that you are physically fit. Beneficial to your body, the combination of aerobic exercise, strength training, flexibility building will help aid your body during its recovery. In fact, studies have shown that exercising previous to your surgery can reduce recovery time.
Core strength is especially vital to a smooth recovery. Incorporate exercises that strengthen the abdominals and back muscles. A strong core can better support the added stress of your new breasts as well as helping you to avoid any neck tension or back pain.
We also suggest that you focus on exercises that support your overall well-being. Soothing workouts like yoga will not only help your body physically but can calm your mind and help settle any pre-surgery jitters.
Stick to a Healthy Diet
Power your recovery from the inside out. A healthy diet promotes better healing and decreases the chance for post-surgical inflammation and swelling. In need of a few helpful hints? Try these diet tips:
- Avoid heavily processed and sugar-laden foods—eating instead a nutrient-rich diet.
- Choose whole foods like fresh blueberries, strawberries, and spinach, all of which are rich in antioxidants.
- Fiber decreases inflammation so it is encouraged that you eat at least 30 grams of fiber a day.
- Chalk-full of amino-acids, protein helps with wound healing and tissue repair. Incorporate lean sources of protein like fish, turkey, and chicken. Meatless alternatives include eggs, beans, and nuts.
- Hold the salt. Instead, flavor your food with anti-inflammatory herbs and spices such as cayenne, curry, ginger, and turmeric.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Bored of water? Try adding lemons, pineapple, or cucumbers or drink decaffeinated tea.
Your body will need its strength. Make sure to keep your body nourished as you approach your surgery date.
Diet and exercise aside, you will want to pay attention to lifestyle habits. One way to prepare yourself, learn to sleep on your back. As your body heals, you are required to sleep on your back. For many women, this is easier said than done. To prepare yourself, train yourself to sleep on your back. If you find yourself rolling onto your side, place a rolled up towel or place pillows on either side of your body. Other seemingly simple habits like shaving your legs or styling your hair can also be tedious and nearly impossible.
Dr. Castor Promises to Work with You
We understand that this can be a lot to take in. Along with Dr. Castor, our staff at Artisan Aesthetics Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, are dedicated to helping you have the best and smoothest experience as you go about your breast augmentation. Are you considering breast augmentation? We encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Castor to learn more about this life-enriching procedure.
STAY TUNED! In our next blog post, we will explore how to mentally and emotionally prepare for yourself for your breast augmentation.