Recovery after an abdominoplasty procedure is typically lengthy and can involve some discomfort for the first few days. At Artisan Aesthetics Plastic Surgery of Tampa, FL, Dr. Stan Castor will educate you on what you can expect the weeks after your surgery.
Below are a few aspects of healing and recovery to consider before choosing to undergo a tummy tuck procedure:
- Medication. Pain medications are usually prescribed to help reduce any pain and swelling that may occur and are often stronger than over-the-counter options. Exparel, a long lasting local anesthetic is injected into the abdominal muscles during surgery. This medication slowly releases over 2-3 days and gives patient less need for narcotics.
- Arrange for time off work. You should plan on taking at least two weeks off from work or other activities in order to give your body time to heal completely. The time needed off of work depends on if there is manual labor required for your job, which can also delay a return to work following the abdominoplasty. In general, you should not lift more than 10 pounds during the first six weeks after tummy tuck surgery.
- Post-operative instructions. It is important to follow all of your surgeon’s instructions regarding activity level and wound care during this healing process.
- Compression garments. You are strongly advised to wear a compression garment following your procedure. We can supply one or make recommendations as to where to obtain one that fits your needs following the tummy tuck surgery.
- Activity levels. Avoid strenuous activities such as running, jogging, heavy lifting or contact sports for at least six weeks after surgery.
- Post-operative care. Dr. Stan Castor will schedule regular follow-up appointments over several weeks to monitor progress and address any concerns you may have.
When Will I See Results From My Surgery?
It may take several weeks for the final results of an abdominoplasty procedure to be visible, as swelling and bruising will need to resolve entirely before changes are apparent. The body will continue to heal over time, so you should expect continued improvements in your appearance for up to a year after the surgery. As long as proper care is taken during recovery, you will enjoy your new shape and enhanced self-confidence for many years to come!
Learn More About the Abdominoplasty Recovery Process
If you reside in Tampa, FL and surrounding areas and want to speak with Dr. Stan Castor about the abdominoplasty or any other aesthetic surgeries available at his office, call Artisan Aesthetics Plastic Surgery at 813-971-2000 to request your appointment.